Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Filming Review

In general, we felt that filming went well. Our actors were willing to follow our direction and were mostly able to provide us with the footage that we needed. We shared the responsibility of operating the camera between us.

On the first day of filming, when we were working at  Tonbridge Boys' School  in order to gain the boarding school shots we needed, we found that on the only day when all of our actors were available to film there was a Book Fair. This involved a sign on the main entrance which we had originally planned to use, and a larger number of people than we had expected. Due to the importance of having all of our actors present in the original shots, we needed to complete the shots on this day or reschedule for a few weeks later when everyone was once again free. In order to overcome this problem, we scouted a side entrance that would be just as effective in the shots. There was no sign and the number of people in the background was at a minimum, meaning that we could achieve the shots we had hoped for. Our actors were very good on this filming day especially, as their costumes involved sexualised school uniforms in public, and we received a large number of hoots from passing cars. This minor problem did not affect any of our shots as we would not be using diegetic sound. 

Our other days of filming were on location in houses , so it was much easier to organise filming. We created a table of dates and names so that the actors and filming team could co-ordinate dates in which we would be free to film. Some of our shots did need all five of our characters present again, so we had to carefully organise when all of our actors were free as well as the owner of the house locations. This caused minimal problems as we organised in advance when filming days would occur. Most of our shots in the home locations were achieved easily, although logistics proved that some of our ideas would not be possible. For example, we had hoped to create the impression of a character being sucked backwards through a door. We experimented with some different techniques included jumping out of the room (which would be reversed), or being pulled back by someone out of shot (which would be sped up), however it proved that all of these shots appeared unrealistic when we attempted editing. Therefore we had to abandon some of our ideas and come up with new and more easily achieved shots, such as the shot of a character looking from a window and a hand slamming against it. 

Due to the shots that we wanted to create, we had to use two different house locations. The first belonged to a friend of the team, and the second belonged to Meg from our team. This was useful in creating the appropriate shots and mise en scene, although it meant more organisation. The second location was much more difficult to get to, as the first was situated a few minutes from school and could be walked to easily, but through scheduled filming days it was again easy to overcome. We found that some extra shots were needed of close ups of hands or feet on days when actors were unavailable, so some shots were included of Emily (of the team) running or having an arm dragged through a door. This was effective as it produced good shots and did not require re-filming, so we could make the most of the time we had with our actors to create the more important shots in which their faces could be seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment